Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dominican Nuns of Summit (NJ) and their Soaps



First, a disclaimer.....the sisters mentioned here have not asked me to plug their products. Rather, my affection for them (the nuns and their products) is genuine and based on personal experience.

I'm hooked on the Seignadou Soaps made by the Domincan Nuns of Summit. I have tried their lip balm too and like it. You might think bar soap is out and liquid soap is in. I must admit, I didn't think I'd EVER go back to bar soap again......but I did. I got a sample as a gift and have been hooked ever since. Gone are my cracked hands which I realized was from the anti-bacterial substance that is added in most liquid soaps (and unnecessary, I might add). I had to get....[gasp]....soap dishes for my bathrooms!

One bar lasts me......months. Therefore, I can justify the price. And, they lather so well. The gardner's soap is coarse to lift dirt. I myself have bought the Christmas set, and really liked the snow-flake shaped soap. I have also used sugar plum, ocean rain, and prickly pear, some of which may be seasonal or trial-based. I see there is one now called, Mary's Mantle. There are a number of scents I want to try, but it will be some time before my small stock runs out.

And, I always keep in mind that the soap with which I wash my hands and bath with has been hand-crafted through the prayerful hands of cloistered sisters.

They are in the midst of raising money to upgrade their convent and the kitchen has been in the spot light. Follow the updates on their blog and while you are at it.....drop them a few bucks! I think you will find them a real stitch now and then, so do check in on them.

Here is a link to their Gift Shoppe for other gifts they make.

As an aside, Cathy at the Grotto Gift Shop who has a stock of some of the soaps in the glass case near the cash register. If you are at the parish, check them out. And, if they run out, ask them to get some more in.

Note that there are even scents for men (be careful ladies when making choices for yourself). Here are the gent scents (though I would argue that Ocean Rain is gender neutral).

UPDATE: 8/6/2009

I just got more about the soap from one of the sisters:

About Our Soap
Our monastery's line of soaps is handcrafted in small batches with love and care by our nuns, always using the finest and highest-quality ingredients. All our soaps contain glycerin to soften combined with shea butter or goat's milk to moisturize and nourish skin. Our wide choice of fragrances, from light florals to deep musks, offer a delightful variety for gift-giving for every person and occasion. Best of all, because the soaps are made and packaged by our nuns each bar is wrapped with prayer!

The Story Behind the Soap's Name
Translated from the French as the "Sign of God", the "Seignadou" (pronounced "Seh-nya-doo") was seen by our founder, St. Dominic de Guzman on July 22, 1206, as he kept vigil on a hilltop in Southern France . In answer to his prayers for guidance, a large fireball descended from the heavens and hovered over the the Church of Saint Mary of Prouilhe. His prayers were answered. He would establish the the first shoot of the "Holy Preaching" at this sacred site marked out by God, the first community of Nuns of the Order of Preachers. We chose this name, so beloved to Dominicans, for our soap in honor of the 800th Anniversary of the founding of the Nuns.



Te Deum Laudamus! Home


The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!