Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Robbed by a petty thief...

I have had many reasons for somewhat of an absence from the blogosphere following my mother's death a month ago. From a practical standpoint, there were affairs that needed settling, including work at her apartment which needs to be completely vacated by the end of this month. My siblings and I are nearly done.

I was sidetracked by something else....a petty thief who had been apparently entering my home over a period of time that may have spanned anywhere from weeks to months, or perhaps years. As far as I can tell, it was merely modest amounts of cash that was missing, along with other signs someone had been in the house. It was happening with the use of a key, most likely through the front door which is actually more secluded than the rear since no one enters or exits typically from that side. Some weeks back I had discovered a hole in the screen - large enough for an arm to fit through to unlock the outer door, and I did not think that's what it was at the time.

Apparently, the key fell into the wrong hands through some form of opportunity over the past 10 years. I suppose this is a good reason to have locks changed, or the links modified, periodically. I have an idea of who may have been involved, but without proof do not want to even discuss that. I'll pray for the unknown thief and I ask you to do so, as well. My firmest belief is that they were after funeral enevelopes - something that never came into my home. I went to my sister's where we read the cards and prepared money to go where people designated it to go. Money marked for Masses, went towards the Gregorian Masses I had scheduled for my mother and I made up the difference. The Missionaries of Charity were on the receiving end of a nice donation in my mother's name from money collected, and a number of people took envelopes and sent money directly to them in her name.

I took steps necessary to protect myself and my property. Locks were changed immediately, but that was not enough. I called a security firm recommended by a co-worker - EMMI Security. I won't discuss all that my system will do for obvious reasons, but will say that at the very least I purchased a system that will detect doors or windows opening, and glass breaking. I took today off to have it installed. I was actually aware that someone had been in the house last week, but did not want to advertise it until I had the system installed.

While I do not believe the intruder was someone watching my activity over the internet, bloggers and users of facebook twitter, and other social networking sites should know that it is never a good idea to advertise your comings and goings, especially if you are leaving town. It is asking for a break-in. Some people advertise everything they do from taking a shower, to going to bed, going out to eat, and going away for vacation out of town. Think twice about doing these kinds of things.

I still have much to do to wrap up my mother's affairs. Blogging will continue to be light, but I will still try to throw a few things out on Twitter. It just won't be as frequent. When I get my mother's place emptied, I then need to turn to my own condo which is now overloaded with stuff. I need to just take the time to sift and get rid of stuff.

I'm truly ok, but am really busy with ordinary things. I will probably be back blogging more regularly and enthusiastically in a few weeks, after I catch up with myself. I'll probably get back into it slowly as I find the time. Do check back and check my Twitter feed.


Te Deum Laudamus! Home


The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!